Who can undertake an EMDR Australia Accredited Training?


Applicants for EMDR training programs should possess the following qualifications when registering (to be evaluated by the trainer):

  1. Allied Health Professionals

Allied Health Professionals with specialist training in mental health (Psychiatry, Psychology, Mental Health Social Work, Psychological Medicine, Occupational Therapy, etc) must have full registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (or NSW Registration Board if residents of that state), if applicable.

  1. Mental Health Professionals not covered by legislation

Social Workers must belong to Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW). Counsellors and psychotherapists must be registered with the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) as a Clinical Mental Health Practitioner or the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) as a Level 3 or 4 member.

  1. Interns/Students

Students enrolled in a graduate level program in mental health (psychiatry, psychology, social work, counselling, etc.) who are currently involved in the internship portion of their program and are working under the supervision of a qualified mental health professional.

New Zealand

New Zealand Qualifications Authority – NZQA    The NZQA is the government agency responsible for quality assurance of qualifications.

There is no equivalent to AHPRA in New Zealand. There used to be the New Zealand Health Information Service (NZHIS) that held the Health Practitioner Index, however this was disestablished in 2008 and its role and responsibilities were given to the Ministry of Health. The relevant Professional Boards have the regulatory authority appointed under the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003.

Professions regulated under the HPCA Act 2003:

Psychologists are registered with the New Zealand Psychologists Board – There are three categories: Clinical Psychologist, Educational Psychologist and Counselling Psychologist. Clinical Psychologists have generally completed a 7-year training that has included a research component at doctoral level.

Mental Health Nurses are required to register with the New Zealand Nursing Council in order to obtain their Annual Practising Certificate. All mental health nurses are required to undertake clinical consultation and maintain professional development portfolios. Many mental health nurses have additional postgraduate qualifications in specific models of counselling and psychotherapy and/or a Masters Degree.

Occupational Therapists register with the New Zealand Occupational Therapy Board in order to obtain their Annual Practising Certificate. They study for a 3 year Bachelors degree – this is due to be increased to Masters in the future. OTs are required to maintain their competency to practise. Whilst their training is ‘generic’, many OTs take a neurology paper and additional specialist mental health training.

Psychotherapists register with the Psychotherapists Board and have the New Zealand Association of Psychotherapists (NZAP) as their professional association. The NZAP and are require Psychotherapists to have undertaken formal training in psychotherapy or have had equivalent training to be approved by the regional interviewing panel. In addition, they are required to have completed client contact hours which should total at least 200 supervised hours over at least two years.

Professions not covered by the HPCA Act 2003:

Psychiatrists in New Zealand are covered by the the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP)

Social Workers are covered by The Social Worker Registration Act 2003 and register with the Social Workers Registration Board. They study for a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Social Work plus additional specialist training in mental health, CBT, DBT etc. They are required to undertake 2000 hours of clinical practice and complete a competency assessment in order to be registered.

In addition, there is the Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers (ANZASW).  ANZASW is the professional association for Social Workers in Aotearoa New Zealand. ANZASW is a membership organization and not a statutory body.

Counsellors register with the New Zealand Association of Counsellors (NZAC) and are required to have attended a New Zealand professional counselling training/education to a minimum of NZQA Level 6 and completed a minimum of 200 hours of face to face counselling practice.