The EMDR Association of Australia was founded in 1998 and, in addition to supporting practitioners, sets the standards for training, certification and consultancy in EMDR.
EMDR is endorsed by:
- The International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies – 2009
- The Australian Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health (approved by the National Health and Medical Research Council) – 2007
- American Psychiatric Association – 2004
- US Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense – 2004
- Northern Ireland Department of Health – 2003
- Dutch Guidelines of Mental Health Care – 2003
- Israel National Council for Mental Health – 2002
- Clinical Division of the American Psychological Association – 1998
To maintain and promote quality and integrity in EMDR practice, research and education. To provide an independent non-profit forum for professional practitioners using Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) psychotherapy and to raise the profile of EMDR in Australia. To uphold the mission, purpose and values of the EMDR International Association.